Friday, January 14, 2011

I AM who I AM

It is the sunrise of a new year and already it is the second week. Where is time going? Last year, on this blog, I examined the issue of love and what the Lord designed it to look like. I feel that I grew a lot through the study. This year, I want to focus on the character of God. I truly believe that when we understand who He is, we understand who we are in Him. Let me give you an example: When I realize that God is good, He is in control, and that as Creator, He loved me and designed me for a unique purpose, then I remember that my worth is not dependent or determined by man but by the God of the Universe. It is a comforting and convicting realization.

So, this is my first post of the year on the character of the Lord and what better way to start out than with a name the Lord called Himself and then claimed throughout the Old and New Testaments: I AM. Because He is God, there doesn't have to be a completion to that sentence. I AM defines a God who existed before time, created it, exists right now, and will exist forever.

In Exodus 3, the Lord speaks to Moses from a burning bush. He tells Moses that He has seen and heard the oppression of His people, Israel, in Egypt, and He is sending Moses to set them free. Moses is hesitant and doesn't think the people will listen to him. I love what the Lord says in verses 14-15:

"God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’“This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation."

I AM WHO I AM. It encompasses the entirety of God's character. Everything He says He is, He is and always has been and always will be...FOREVER. It is a promise and a guarantee and has been fulfilled and is still being fulfilled. Confused? Me, too, a little. But I am excited to study the character of God. Who is this God who has baffled theologians, caused century old arguments, and has people willing to die for Him, not for a reward in the afterlife, but because they refuse to deny His existence? I hope you will stick with me and learn the character of this amazing God. He is good. Enjoy the song by Bebo Norman called "I AM." It lists character qualities and actions of God on YOUR BEHALF! If you aren't a Christian, this is who God is for the believer. He is present, directing their steps and waiting for them in their future. Do you know Him?

Resting in the Great I AM,
Kariss

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I love this! I don't think I really had a fraction of an idea of the scope of what this trait was until the past couple years, and I love it because this trait keeps going and going and going! It was so great to hear your thoughts on this! I look forward to reading many more of your writings!

    ReplyDelete